The Cabinet Office proposes:
- to compile a list of approved open standards;
- to mandate the use of these standards by central government departments and their agencies;
- to encourage the wider public sector to follow the lead of central government.
A summary of the SALTIS position is that:
- we strongly support the wider use of appropriate open standards;
- we believe that the Cabinet Office’s approach may improve the transparency of central government data;
- we believe that the current proposals will have little positive impact on the wider public services, where the imposition of bureaucratically selected standards is likely to hinder innovation.